- 3/4 cup coconut milk (preferably not “light” or low-fat variety)
- 300 g bittersweet dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 2-3 drops of dōTERRA Peppermint essential oil
- 450 g cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
- Preferred sweetener to add to cacao
- Hot water to add to chocolate coating mixture
- 2 Tbls coconut oil
- Toasted or flaked coconut to decorate,
- Place the finely chopped chocolate in medium heat-safe bowl and set aside. Place the coconut milk in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Heat the coconut milk until it is just under a boil—bubbles should appear along the sides of the pan. Turn up slightly to get these small bubbles.
- Pour the hot coconut milk over the chopped chocolate and allow it to sit for one minute to soften the chocolate, then gently whisk them together until the chocolate is melted and it becomes a smooth, shiny chocolate ganache. Add the peppermint oil and stir thoroughly.
- Press a layer of glad-wrap directly on top of the ganache, and refrigerate it until it is firm enough to scoop and roll (about 1 hour). Don’t wait too long as it will be hard to roll.
- Remove from the fridge and using a spoon or a small candy scoop to form small balls from the ganache, and roll them between your hands to get them round. Set aside.
- Melt your coconut oil gently and add cacao powder and hot water until it is a smooth and fluid liquid. Add your desired level of sweetness. Don’t overheat otherwise it will turn lumpy.
- Dip a truffle using a fork until it is completely submerged in the melted coating, then bring it up out of the coating and tap the fork against the lip of the bowl to remove excess.
- Place the truffle on a foil-covered baking sheet, and while it is still wet, sprinkle the top with toasted or untoasted coconut.
- Repeat until all the truffles have been dipped. Place tray in the refrigerator to set the coating for about 15 minutes.
- Serve at room temperate.
Peppermint essential oil: peppermint essential oil is steam distilled from the flowering tops of the plant and is typically grown in the United States. Read a study here on peppermint essential oil and nausea.
dōTERRA essential oils can be purchased online, or from any of our Wellness Advocates. If you would like to locate a Wellness Advocate in your area, click here. *These statements have not been approved by the Therapeutic Goods Administration. dōTERRA products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease. Pregnant or lactating women and persons with known medical conditions should consult a physician prior to the use of any dōTERRA product.