For the cake:
- 2 whole oranges
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 cup raw honey (or preferred sweetener)
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- seeds of 1/2 vanilla bean or 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 drop dōTERRA Fennel (sweet) essential oil
For the glaze:
- 1 orange
- 1/4 cup raw honey (or preferred sweetener)
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- zest of 1 orange
- additional fennel seeds for garnishing
- Place the whole oranges in a deep pot and fill with enough water to cover them completely.
- Over low to medium heat, cook for about 1 hour. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180C (350F).
- Grease a cake tin with some coconut oil. Set aside.
- When the oranges are cool, cut into quarters, remove any seeds and any inside white parts. Place into the food processor bowl. Pulse until smooth.
- Add the eggs, sweetener (honey), vanilla, fennel essential oil and sea salt. Pulse until smooth.
- Add the almond flour, arrowroot powder and baking soda and pulse again until well blended.
- Pour into the cake tin and bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool before glazing.
For the glaze:
- Grate the orange and reserve the zest.
- Peel off what is left of the skin of the orange, and cut the flesh into small chunks.
- Place the orange pieces and the rest of the ingredients in a small pot, over low heat, and cook about 20-25 minutes until the orange pieces are caramelised. Allow to cool at room temperature.
- With an immersion blender, slightly puree. (Alternatively, you can leave with the chunks for a more rustic look.)
- Pour over the top of the cake and drizzle with some additional fennel seeds.
- Serve plain or with yogurt!